Pavanamuktasana is very useful in giving relief from flatus. Excessive colon gas is one of the constipation side effects. This asana helps in releasing the gas trapped inside the colon and gives immediate relief from stomach bloating.
Why does gas get trapped inside the colon?
When you are constipated, stool becomes compacted. It gets hard and dry as it stays inside the colon for a long time. Stagnated stool decomposes due to bacterial action. Gas gets released during this process. Since the stool is compact and hard, this gas has no way of escape.
As gas builds up, it causes abdominal distension and discomfort - stomach bloating. A better way to deal with this problem is to remove stool from the colon by colon cleansing. The best colon cleansing is – colon cleansing enema with plain water.
How ever, you can get some immediate relief through Pavanamuktasana. It helps in not only releasing flatus, but is also known to improve digestion.
The critical posture of this asana is – applying pressure on the chest and belly with the knees and thighs.
- Lie down on the mat in the relaxed position with your legs spread side by side. Let your hands be straight on your sides close to the body with palms facing the ground. Breathe normally.
- Inhale. While exhaling, slowly raise the right leg without bending the knee, while the left leg is still straight on the floor. Inhale while doing this.
- Bend the right leg at the knee, until the thigh is pressed 3. against the belly.
- Wrap your arms around the knee as shown and pull the thigh towards the body to apply more pressure on the belly. Inhale deeply.
- Exhale. While exhaling, raise your head and bend the neck so that your forehead touches the knee to apply pressure on the chest.
- Follow the same steps in the reverse way to come back to normal position.
- Practice 3 rounds with the right leg.
- Repeat the posture, this time with the left leg and practice 3 rounds.
- Repeat the process with both legs together - Dwipada Pavanamuktasana (shown in the images).
Always start with your right leg first and then your left leg, because right leg presses ascending colon and left leg presses descending colon. While practicing this asana, keep your mind on your breath and the pressure you are exerting on your chest and abdomen.
- In addition to bringing out flatus, Pavanmuktasana pushes the stool as well to promote evacuation, improves peristaltic movement of colon, thus relieving constipation.
- Your lower back and neck are stretched and strengthened. Relieves lower back pain.
- Firms up muscles of abdomen and back, reduces fat.
- By practicing regularly, this asana is known to cure impotency.
- It is beneficial to people suffering from jaundice.
- Improves flexibility of hip joints.
Pavanamuktasana is not for pregnant women. If you have undergone surgery, consult your doctor as well as yoga expert. People suffering from hemorrhoids, hernia, hyper tension, heart problems, unhealthy back conditions etc. should consult the doctor and yoga expert. Do not over stretch the neck or thighs during the